Faced with competition from larger destination convention cities with "under one roof" facilities, the Charlotte Convention Center, the Hilton Charlotte City Center and the Westin Charlotte
formed a cooperative marketing alliance which offered a combination of conference/exhibition facilities and guest accommodations with the convenience a single point of contact for meeting and convention planners.
Raise awareness with meeting and convention planners of the numerous hospitality facilities and amenities the city of Charlotte and Metrolina region offers. Make it easy to “do business” in Charlotte by providing one number to call for assistance when planning an event.
A branding initiative, The Charlotte Convention Connection
, was developed designed to highlight the facilities and amenities of the Hilton, Westin, Convention Center alliance including 1,107 first class guest rooms, 69,200 square feet of ballroom space, 523,900 square feet of total space, 70 breakout rooms and more. Charlotte area attractions and activities including Bank of America Stadium
, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
, Charlotte Motor Speedway
and more were also promoted.
Marketing/communication tactics included:
- Direct Mail Campaign to out of town convention and meeting planners
- Meeting planning kit and gift basket distributed personally to Charlotte area corporate travel and meeting planners
- Press releases distributed to relevant trade publications
- Paid advertising placed in major trade publications
- Unique Charlotte Convention Connection sales kit developed for Hilton, Convention Center and Westin sales and marketing representatives
- Significant increase in bookings at all three alliance partners
- Positive PR and increased awareness for Charlotte among out of town meeting and convention planners.
- Created the first successful collaboration between competing properties for the overall benefit of Charlotte
- Renewed sense of partnership throughout the entire Charlotte hospitality industry.
- Developed a unique selling proposition for the Charlotte Regional Visitors Association